Sunday, June 16, 2024
HomeNewsAn Insider's Guide to Insurance-Linked Securities: How to Get Installed in NYC

An Insider’s Guide to Insurance-Linked Securities: How to Get Installed in NYC

If you’ve ever wondered how to become an insurance linked securities advisor in NYC, then this guide is for you. This article will elaborate on what insurance-linked securities (ILS) are, why they’re a great investment opportunity, and how you can get started selling them as a financial advisor or broker.

What is a Linked Security?

A Linked Security is a security that is backed by a pool of assets that are managed by an insurance company. The assets can be real estate, corporate debt and mortgages. The value of the asset pool is used to back the securities.

What are the benefits of Linked Security?

Linked security is a security that has an underlying asset. The value of the linked security depends on the performance of that underlying asset, which could be anything from stocks to bonds or commodities. The main advantage of investing in insurance-linked securities (ILS) is that they offer protection against losses if you get hit with bad luck.

In addition to providing protection, ILS can also provide you with income through interest payments on your principal investment and dividends from stocks held within your portfolio.

How do I get installed as an insurance linked securities advisor in NYC?

You can become an insurance linked securities advisor in NYC by becoming a licensed insurance agent. You can get training online or in person, at a school, or from an existing insurance linked securities advisor.

Do I need a license or registration to sell insurance-linked securities?

In general, you will need a license or registration to sell insurance-linked securities. The type of license or registration depends on the specific type of insurance linked security that you are selling. For example:

  • If you want to sell catastrophe bonds without being registered as an “investment adviser” (which means someone who provides investment advice for compensation), then your salesperson doesn’t need any special licenses or registrations from FINRA (the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority). But if this person also wants to provide investment advice related to catastrophe bonds, then they would have to get their own FINRA registration first before they can do so.
  • Alternatively, if they only plan on selling catastrophe bonds via an intermediary rather than directly with clients themselves–and therefore don’t need any special licenses or registrations from FINRA–then this person could still obtain one anyway just in case something happens down the road where it becomes necessary later on!

What is an insurance linked security?

Insurance-linked security is a financial product that combines the features of both traditional insurance and debt or equity investments. The most common types of these securities are known as catastrophe bonds, which protect against natural disasters like hurricanes or earthquakes. You can also buy debt issued by companies in distress (or “distressed debt”), which gives you the right to receive payments if they go bankrupt or default on their loans. In addition to these two examples, there are many other types of insurance-linked securities available such as:

  • Credit default swaps (CDS) – This type of derivative allows investors who believe a company will default on its obligations to buy protection against losses caused by that event at predetermined prices set by dealers in the market where these products trade;
  • Structured notes – These instruments combine traditional fixed-income notes with embedded options allowing you access to various markets without having direct exposure;
  • Warrants – These give holders rights but not obligations so if certain events occur then holders may benefit from increased value without any downside risk


Now that you know the ins and outs of insurance linked securities, it’s time to get started! The first thing to do is find out what kind of license or registration you need for your state. You can also contact your state agency directly for more information on how to get started selling insurance linked securities.

Shehbaz Malik
Shehbaz Malik
A computer science graduate. Interested in emerging technological wonders that are making mankind more approachable to explore the universe. I truly believe that blockchain advancements will bring long-lasting revolutions in people’s lives. Being a blogger, I occasionally share my point of views regarding the user experience of digital products.

Most Popular